South Dakota State wins Summit League, NCAA berth
- Memphis F Black transferring to Kansas
- FIU G Smith follows Pitino to Minnesota
- Pitt, Stanford in Legends Classic field
- F Breunig transferring to Montana
- Alford buyout to net New Mexico $625K
By DIRK LAMMERS
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) Nate Wolters struggled to get his chances for most of the game. Once he did, the Summit League's player of the year proved worthy of the title and added another - tournament MVP.
Wolters scored 18 of his 27 points in the second half to lead South Dakota State past North Dakota State 73-67 on Tuesday night in the Summit League tournament finals.
The victory sends the Jackrabbits (25-9) to the NCAA tournament for the second straight year.
The Bison held South Dakota State to 47.9 percent shooting overall, and Kory Brown and TrayVonn Wright played Wolters tight to hold him to nine points in the first half.
"It's tough to find any driving lanes out there," Wolters said. "My team did a great job picking me up."
Jordan Dykstra had 18 points and seven rebounds for the Jackrabbits, a performance that head coach Scott Nagy praised.
"He was physical. He was active," Nagy said. "He showed up in a big moment tonight."
The sellout crowd of 6,544 provided a home-game atmosphere for the Jackrabbits, whose campus sits 60 miles to the north.
Nagy said South Dakota State's motto is "play like you're loved," because there's no pressure. He said the experience of winning last year's championship helped, as the team was intense but not tense.
"You go out and relax, and that's how we want our kids playing," he said.
Taylor Braun led North Dakota State (24-9) with 23 points, including two consecutive three-point plays where he aggressively sliced into the paint. Reserve Mike Felt chipped in nine points for the Bison.
"They fought, no question about that," said North Dakota State head coach Saul Phillips. "Taylor was unbelievable."
The Jackrabbits' Tony Fiegen, who contributed 12 points and began the second half by hitting back-to-back jumpers, complimented the Bison on a hard-fought game.
"They put it all out there, just as much as we did tonight," Fiegen said. "It was a good battle. They're obviously a good team."
South Dakota State took the lead just under seven minutes in but struggled the rest of the game to expand it.
North Dakota State kept the pressure on Wolters, but Phillips said he has a way of finding passing lanes to hit the open man.
"He makes passes that other guards just don't make," Phillips said.
The Jackrabbits' sole NCAA appearance came last year, when they earned a trip to the dance but fell in the opener 68-60 to Baylor.
Follow Dirk Lammers on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/ddlammers
Updated March 13, 2013
Follow 670 The Score
- Briggs On Bears’ Turnover: ‘I Miss Everybody’Bears linebacker Lance Briggs is still getting used to life without his old buddies.590
- Break Down Of Kyle Long’s ContractThe Bears inked first-round draft picked Kyle Long to a four-year contract over the weekend with an option for a fifth year.442
- Hoge’s Observations From Bears’ OTAs: Trestman Running A Tight ShipBears players have learned quickly that Trestman isn't going to put up with nonsense during his practices.1574
- 18-Foot-8-Inch Python Caught In South FloridaThe longest Burmese python ever caught in the state — 18 feet, 8 inches long and 128 pounds — was found alongside a rural South Florida road, wildlife officials said Monday.800
- Florida Man Pleads Guilty In Fatal Stabbing Of Bears FanA Florida man has pleaded guilty to fatally stabbing a Bears fan who traveled to Jacksonville to see the Bears take on the Jaguars in October.578
Online Sports Columnists
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!