Yankees-White Sox Preview
New York Yankees at Chicago White Sox
- The White Sox have won six consecutive home games against the Yankees, after losing each of their previous six home games against them.
- The White Sox, who have scored exactly seven runs in each of their last three victories, have allowed 10 or fewer hits in each of their last 21 victories.
- The Yankees have allowed their opponents to hit a home run in just two of their last 12 road games. During this stretch, their starters have displayed a 2.39 ERA while walking just 14 batters.
- Masahiro Tanaka, coming off his first loss (Tuesday vs. Cubs) since August 19, 2012, is one of just two AL pitchers (Sonny Gray) with nine quality starts this season.
- This season, Jose Abreu (currently on the DL) and Yangervis Solarte are two of three rookies leading or tied for the team lead in RBI.
- Alexei Ramirez has already recorded 58 hits this season, the second-most by a White Sox player in a single season through May 21 since 1914 (Paul Konerko, 62 in 2002).
- Red-hot Price tops BoSox, Rays' run at 8
- Puig has 3 triples as Dodgers rip Giants
- Yankees push home streak over Jays to 17
- Abreu's MLB-best 30th HR lifts White Sox
- Angels survive Smyly's 11 Ks, top Tigers
By NICOLINO DIBENEDETTO
(AP) -- Strong pitching is a major reason why the Chicago White Sox are on the cusp of their longest home winning streak over the New York Yankees in 41 years.
Hector Noesi, though, hasn't managed a win in more than two years.
Noesi will try to draw some inspiration from Chris Sale's latest gem and help the White Sox to an eighth straight victory over the Yankees on the South Side on Friday night.
Chicago (24-25) has a 2.45 ERA in its last seven meetings with New York (24-22), a number Sale helped push down Thursday. Hours after coming off the disabled list, he carried a perfect game into the sixth and departed after the inning with one hit allowed and 10 strikeouts in a 3-2 victory in the opener of this four-game series.
The White Sox haven't won eight in a row over the Yankees at home since a nine-game run from 1972-73.
Giving the ball to Noesi (0-4, 7.31 ERA), though, may not inspire much confidence as he hasn't earned a victory since beating Minnesota with Seattle on May 5, 2012. He's gone 0-14 with a 6.19 ERA in his ensuing 38 games - 17 starts.
The right-hander is 0-3 with a 5.66 ERA in four starts since joining the rotation. He was hit hard in Saturday's 6-5 loss at Houston, surrendering four runs in the first inning and giving up two more before leaving after the sixth.
Noesi is working on improving his mechanics.
"It's been like 90 percent already," he told the team's official website. "It's pretty good and then I think I've been throwing bullpen last few days and I feel better for (Friday), do whatever I have to do."
Noesi, a member of the Yankees in 2011, is 0-1 while allowing six runs - five earned - in 11 1-3 innings over two starts against his former team.
New York, though, managed three singles Thursday and has scored 12 runs while dropping three of four.
The likely return of Brett Gardner to the starting lineup after getting the night off against Sale could help spark the Yankees' offense. Gardner, who struck out as a pinch-hitter in the ninth inning Thursday, has batted .348 over the past 18 games and owns a .345 career average against the White Sox.
New York's Hiroki Kuroda (3-3, 4.61) is scheduled to try and build on his first win in six starts.
The right-hander allowed three runs and two homers with seven strikeouts in six innings of a 4-3 victory over Pittsburgh on Sunday. He went 0-2 with a 5.02 ERA in his five previous outings.
"The mechanics, the command are not as good as last year," Kuroda said through a translator, alluding to his 6-2 record and 1.99 ERA at this point in 2013.
Kuroda has lost his last two starts at U.S. Cellular Field, giving him a 1-2 record and 3.80 ERA in three career outings there. He was backed with one run of support in the past two, the most recent a 3-2 defeat Aug. 6 in which he gave up three runs in seven innings.
Updated May 23, 2014